In the Spotlight
Manage Your Health Records
Forgot the name of a prescription medicine? Can't remember the date of a surgery? Use My HealtheVet to access your VA medical records and organize your personal health information. Members registered in My HealtheVet are able to manage their health by using My HealtheVet's Blue Button feature to customize a report or access their VA Health Summary. The VA Blue Button feature helps you better manage your health care needs and communicate with your health care team. With the VA Blue Button feature, you can:
- Customize and download a report (as a PDF or text file) to share with your VA and non-VA providers
- Print a report or summary to take a copy to your next appointment
- Send an electronic version of your self-entered information in Secure Message to your VA health care team
- Build your Personal Health Record (PHR) by self-entering your personal information or data that you have tracked
Start building your PHR by self-entering your personal information, such as your health history, emergency contacts and medications. You can monitor your vital signs and use the journals to track your diet and physical activity. Even if you are not a Veteran, you can take advantage of this convenient way to organize your information.
If you are a Veteran who receives care from VA, you can access your VA medical records and create a customized report that can also include your self-entered data. Many Veterans can also include a copy of their military service information from the Department of Defense (DoD).
A number of smartphone apps are also available through a variety of non-VA sources. While VA does not endorse specific apps, there are now creative, secure and easy-to-use ways of viewing Blue Button data. Search for Blue Button in your smartphone apps library to learn more.
The VA Health Summary:
- Is a Continuity of Care Document (CCD) that contains specific information
- Provides a summary of your health information that can be used to review your medical record and to share essential information with all of your health care providers
- Allows health information that is in one health care system to be electronically exchanged with another health care system that is providing care
You can get your VA Health Summary information in two file formats: An easy to read and print PDF and an XML format that can be read by computer systems.
To use the VA Blue Button feature and access the VA Health Summary, you must be registered on My HealtheVet as a VA Patient and have a Premium account. A Premium account can be obtained by a My HealtheVet member who has an Advanced account. To get an upgraded Premium account, you will need to complete and sign VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV) (PDF). This is done before allowing you access to your VA health record. A Premium account gives My HealtheVet members the highest level of access to My HealtheVet features. Learn more about upgrading your My HealtheVet account through Upgrading to a Premium My HealtheVet Account.
If you do not have a My HealtheVet account, take time and Register today.
Look for the VA Blue Button icon on the My HealtheVet home page after you log in to customize a report or health summary.
Last Updated April 24, 2017