Terms and Conditions
Opt-In (Open a Secure Messaging Account)
Secure Messaging is to be used only for non-urgent, non-life threatening communication. If you have an urgent or life threatening issue, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
Your decision to use Secure Messaging is voluntary and does not affect your ability to contact your facility directly to speak with your health care provider. Secure Messages may be screened by administrative staff before being forwarded to a health care provider.
To participate in Secure Messaging, you must be a VA patient with an active My HealtheVet account who has completed the In-Person Authentication (IPA) process. If you close your My HealtheVet account or lose your IPA status, you will no longer be able to access Secure Messaging.
When you use Secure Messaging, you are expected to follow certain standards of conduct. Violations may result in being blocked from using Secure Messaging. Unacceptable conduct includes, but is not limited to:
- a. Using Secure Messaging for urgent or life threatening issues
- b. Sending threatening messages to a care provider
- c. Using profanity or harsh language
- d. Using Secure Messaging for communicating non-medical issues
- e. Sending an excessive number of Secure Messages
- You must have access to the Internet to use Secure Messaging.
- Normally, you will receive a reply to your message within 3 business days. When a faster response is required, call your health care provider or visit your VA facility.
- At the discretion of your provider, any or all secure messages may become part of the electronic health record.
- The connection to the Secure Messaging server is secure. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that your personal information is not compromised on the computer being used to access Secure Messaging.
- You are responsible for logging out of Secure Messaging when your session is finished and for closing the browser being used to access Secure Messaging. If you print out any Secure Messages, you are responsible for protecting that information.
- Secure Messaging is not email. However, email may be used for remote notification. Remote notification is a process that sends an automated email to the email account you registered on your My HealtheVet account when a Secure Message is waiting to be read. No part of the actual Secure Message will be transmitted via email. Receiving these notifications is optional.