Get Ready - Physical Activity
Here is some information about physical activity, its benefits, how to get started, and safety.
Physical activity has many health benefits, and is key to both weight loss and weight management. The best thing about physical activity is that even a little can help you feel great. In no time at all you will have more energy, sleep better and feel more fit.
In October 2008, the US Department of Health and Human Services launched the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans. Adults and children can use this information to become physically active on a regular basis. You can be active your way by choosing activities that best suit you and your lifestyle.
The basic message is:
- Some activity is better than none, and more is better
- Do at least 2 ½ hours per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity,
- 1 ¼ hours per week of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity
- Activity should be done in at least 10 minute chunks and spread out during the week
- For even more health benefits, do muscle strengthening activities and involve all major muscle groups on 2 or more days per week
There are many fun ways to increase your activity slowly and safely.
The Physical Activity Pyramid (PDF) is a general guide to how much activity you need.
Last Updated January 2012