Upgrade Your My HealtheVet Account to Premium
Wondering why you should consider upgrading to a Premium My HealtheVet account? A Premium account gives My HealtheVet members the highest level of access to My HealtheVet features and can be obtained by anyone who has an account in the Advanced level and signed the VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV).
My HealtheVet offers three account types: Basic, Advanced and Premium. Anyone registering on My HealtheVet starts with a Basic or Advanced account. A Basic account limits your access to features requiring you to enter personal data such as journals and other tools to track your health measures.
When you register and select Veteran/VA Patient on the registration form, your profile information is linked to VA/DoD records. When this happens, your account is automatically upgraded to the Advanced level. An Advanced account offers you a higher level of access to features than the Basic account. Examples of available features:
Premium account gives you features of both a Basic and Advanced account plus these features:
- Copies of key portions of your VA electronic health records
- VA Health Summary
- Secure Messaging
- VA Appointments
- Department of Defense (DoD) Military Service Information
Interested in upgrading to a Premium account? Let's get started!
After registering on My HealtheVet, upgrading your account to Premium is simple. You will need to complete and sign the VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV). This form authorizes the VA to deliver to your online account an electronic copy of your VA health record. You can complete and sign the VA Release of Information Form in-person or online.
Completing the VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV) in-Person
You can conveniently complete the VA Release of Information Form before you visit the VA health care facility:
- Call a local VA health care facility to have the VA Release of Information Form mailed to you to complete before your visit. If you do not have the telephone number, please use the VA Facility Locator for the contact information of the nearest facility.
- Or, open this PDF version of the VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV) right on your computer and complete the form. You can then print your completed form.
- Please Note: When you open or download a PDF file, a temporary file is created on the computer. Others may then be able to view your personal health information on that computer. There is a risk of exposing your information when you download a PDF file, especially on public or shared computers.
You may choose to complete the form during your next visit to the local VA health care facility.
When you go to your local VA health care facility, be sure to take a government issued photo ID (Veterans Identification Card or valid driver¿s license) to prove your identity. Bring the signed VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV) with you if you completed it at home.
After the VA staff member verifies your information, he/she will scan and upload your VA Release of Information Form to your VA medical record, and then shred it according to their policy. After your account has been upgraded, your status will change on your My HealtheVet Member Logout box to Premium.
Completing the VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV) Online
You can upgrade your My HealtheVet account to Premium by completing and signing your VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV) online. This works if you are logged in to My HealtheVet using your DS Logon Premium Username and Password.
After you have connected your accounts, you will be asked if you would like to start to upgrade to a Premium My HealtheVet account. To begin:
- Select Continue at the bottom of the online instruction page.
The process to Upgrade Your Account Online will begin. This takes you to another trusted VA system.
- On the Start Upgrading Your My HealtheVet Account Today page:
- Select the radio button: Yes, I would like to start upgrading my account Online
- Select Continue
After you select Continue, you will be taken to an online instruction page.
- Print the online instruction page by selecting the Printer-Friendly link at the top of the page.
- Complete and sign the electronic VA Release of Information Form (10-5345a-MHV) online. When your My HealtheVet account has been upgraded to Premium, your account status will change to Premium Account in your Member Logout box.
- If you select CANCEL or log out during the process, the upgrade will stop.
Note: Veterans who are not VA Patients can get a Premium My HealtheVet account. You just need to have a DS Logon Premium account. A Premium My HealtheVet account will allow you to view your DoD Military Service Information. You would also be able to sign in to your My HealtheVet account by using your DS Logon Premium Username and Password (or other 3rd party credential).
If you choose not to upgrade your account using the online process:
- You will have the opportunity to upgrade the next time you log in to My HealtheVet using your DS Logon Premium Username and Password,
- Or, the next time you visit your local VA health care facility.