My HealtheVet VA Notes
Clinical Notes are part of your permanent medical record. They are used to describe events during your care. This can be during your clinic visit or during a hospital stay. Physicians, nurses, consultants, therapists and other members of the health care team record their Notes in your medical record.
Members of the health care team may use Notes to record your health condition and the care provided to you. The notes may include medical facts, clinical findings, opinions and treatment plans. It may also track your response to the care that was provided. Most importantly, it serves as a way for members of your health care team to share information about you.
Veterans that use the VA Healthcare System and have a My HealtheVet Premium* account, can now access your VA Notes. You can use the VA Blue Button to view, print, and download your VA Notes. Initially, your VA Notes that were written on or after January 1, 2013 will be available to you. In the future, more historical VA Notes will become available. VA Notes are available to you 3 calendar days after the note has been completed by members of the VA health care team.
*To get a Premium account, VA patients will need to go through authentication. VA verifies a Veterans' identity by this process. This is done before allowing access to your VA health record.
VA Progress Notes may or may not contain the following information:
- Patients health condition
- Care delivered to the patient
- Medical facts, clinical findings, opinions and treatment plans
- Progress or lack of progress made by the patient
- Clinical events related to the diagnosis and treatment of the patient
- Patient's past health condition compared to their current health statusPatients health condition
The information provided in VA Notes may help you:
- Work in partnership with your health care team to ensure your health record accurately reflects your health issues
- Have a better understanding of your health issues
- Make informed decisions about your health
- Share details about your health care with your caregivers or non-VA health care providers
- Ensure that your health record is complete
You can use the VA Blue Button to view, print, or download your VA Notes. This information can be shared with your caregiver and/or non-VA provider. This may help them better understand your health.
Visit the VA Notes Frequently Asked Questions. This site has questions and answers that may help you understand more about the feature and how it can help you monitor your health.
Some information that comes from your VA health record may not be presented right away in My HealtheVet or your VA Blue Button. This is because your information may first need to be reviewed and signed by members of your VA health care team.
VA Notes are available to you 3 calendar days after the note has been completed by members of the VA health care team. If you have any questions about your information please visit the Frequently Asked Questions. or contact your VA health care team.
- VA Notes is a section of the My HealtheVet Personal Health Record found under the VA Blue Button section. To view your VA Notes you must:
- Be a Veteran enrolled at a VA health care facility
- Be a registered as a VA Patient in My HealtheVet
- Have a My HealtheVet Premium* account
*To get a My HealtheVet Premium account, you will need to go through authentication. This is a process by which VA verifies a Veterans' identity before allowing access to your VA health record. To learn more, go to: Upgrading your My HealtheVet account through In-Person or Online Authentication.
- Having a complete health record gives your health care team information about you that may help them better meet your health care needs. If you have an admission to a non-VA facility, you should add this information to your My HealtheVet account. Within the Health History section are several logs that help you keep track of your health records. You can also use the VA Blue Button to view, print or download information from your Health History section.
- Hold Periods for VA information
The Research Health section of My HealtheVet is where you can get health information, research a topic, and simply learn more about your health. Read about common conditions and VA health programs. Get answers to your health questions from trusted medical resources. My HealtheVet makes it easy to stay informed by bringing a wealth of information right to your fingertips.
Talk With Your Health Care Provider - Your health care team is there to assist you with your health care needs. You can help by doing things to make your visits more productive. For example, a great deal of the information needed to make a diagnosis is based on your description of symptoms, recent changes, and your history. Do not be afraid to share that information during your visit.
Who's Who On Your Health Care Team? Your VA Notes may show various titles for your health care team members. Read about the differences in roles.
A New Model of VA Health Care: Patient Aligned Care Teams - The VA's goal is to help you stay healthy. Providing health information and reminding you about recommended preventive care is an important part of Patient Aligned Care Teams.