DoD Military Service Information & Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) Frequently Asked Questions

What DoD Military Service Information will I be able to view?

Eligible Veterans will be able to see:

  • Service Dates

  • Deployment Periods

  • Military Occupational Specialty (MOS)/Occupation Codes

  • Pay Details

  • Retirement Periods

You will also have access to a translation key for translating your MOS codes.

Back to Top

What are the requirements for viewing my DoD Military Service Information?

To view DoD Military Service Information you must:

  • be a Veteran enrolled at a VA health care facility

  • be a registered as a VA Patient in My HealtheVet

  • have an upgraded account *

* To get an upgraded account you must complete a one-time process called In-Person Authentication or IPA. You can upgrade your account at your VA Medical Center or Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC).

Back to Top

Will all Veterans see DoD Military Service information in My HealtheVet?

Some Veterans will not be able to see complete DoD Military Service Information in My HealtheVet. Eligible Veterans that can include:

  • Retirees will have complete information

  • Veterans discharged after 1980 will see MOS Codes

  • Some Veterans discharged between 1975-1980 will see MOS Codes

  • All Post-9/11 Veterans will see Combat Pay and Deployment Periods

  • Some Gulf War I Veterans may see Combat Pay and Deployment Periods

The easiest way to find out if you have DoD Military Service Information is to use Blue Button and select DoD Military Service Information.

Back to Top

Where is my DoD Military Service Information?

It will appear as the last section of your Blue Button report. If it is not there:

  • My HealtheVet may still be in the process of getting your information

  • Check to see if you have an upgraded My HealtheVet account

  • The information may not be available electronically from the Department of Defense

Back to Top

How do I view, print, save or download my DoD Military Service Information?

You can use Blue Button to print or download your information:

  • Log into your My HealtheVet account

  • Select Download My Data

  • Select Download Only My Selected Data from My HealtheVet

  • Select Continue

  • Select DoD Military Service Information

  • Select Submit

  • Select either Download PDF File for a format that is easy to read and print (PDF file) or Download for a simple text format (.txt file) if you want an electronic copy

  • Select View/Print if you want a printed list

  • Select Print

Back to Top

Do I have to download my DoD Military Service Information through Blue Button to see it?

Yes. It is only available for download through Blue Button at this time.

Back to Top

What are the benefits of having my DoD Military Service Information in My HealtheVet?

  • Gives you easy access to your military service information when you want it

  • Provides you with important information about your military experience

  • Provides access to detailed information about your MOS codes

  • Offers ways you can share your MOS information with employers, career counselors, caregivers and others

  • Helps you take what you did in the military and apply it to civilian life

Back to Top

Where does my DoD Military Service Information come from?

Your DoD Military Service Information comes from your official service record. It is collected and maintained by the Department of Defense.

Back to Top

Who can see my DoD Military Service Information?

You are the only one who can see your information in My HealtheVet. You decide how to share that information. If you want someone else to see your information, you must give it to him or her.

You are responsible for protecting the personal health information you print out or download. It is important to protect your information. Protect this the same way you would protect your banking or credit card information.

Remember, if you use someone else's computer or printer, always:

  • remove your printed information off the printer and take with you

  • take your CD or thumb drive with you when you finish

  • avoid saving your information to a computer that is not yours

Back to Top

Is the DoD Military Service Information in My HealtheVet protected, secure, and private?

My HealtheVet is a secure website. The VA follows strict security policies and practices to make sure that information in your My HealtheVet account is safe and protected.

Back to Top

Can I change my DoD Military Service information in My HealtheVet?

No, your information is presented to you the way it is in your official record.

Back to Top

Will I receive an email if my DoD Military Service Information is updated?

No. Your information is refreshed once a day when you open Blue Button. If there has been any change to your DoD Military Service Information, you will be able to see it.

Back to Top

What is a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS)?

Military OccupationalSpecialty is a person's military information. It describes the work done by a Servicemember, while on active duty or in the reserves. It includes training and certifications. My HealtheVet displays this information for all branches of the military.

Back to Top

What are Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes?

Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes are alphanumeric codes ("12A", "56X") assigned to each military occupational specialty. Combined with his or her pay grade, they describe what a servicemember did while on active duty or in the reserves.

Each branch of the service has a version of MOS codes. My HealtheVet groups all codes for each branch under the heading "MOS Codes."

Version of MOS codes by branch of service:

Army/Army National Guard: United States Army jobs are broken down into MOSC's (Military Occupational Specialty Codes). Jobs with similar MOS's are arranged in groups known as Career Management Fields. This information is also contained on the PAM XXI Army website.

Marine Corps/Reserves: Jobs are classified as MOS's (Military Occupation Specialties). Jobs with similar MOS's are arranged in groups known as Occupational Fields. This information is also contained in the Marine Corps MOS Manual (PDF).

Air Force/Air National Guard: The Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC) (PDF) is an alphanumeric code used by the United States Air Force to identify an Air Force Specialty (AFS). Officer AFSCs consist of four characters and enlisted AFSCs consist of five characters. A letter prefix or suffix may be used with an AFSC when more specific identification of position requirements and individual qualifications is necessary.

Navy: The Navy Enlisted Occupational Classifications (NEOCS) provides the means by which all Navy enlisted personnel are classified as documented in the Unites States Navy document NAVPERS-18068F. Officers have designators as outlined in the United States Navy document NAVPERS 15839I (PDF). These standards define minimum skill and knowledge requirements for personnel at each pay grade and within each career field.

Coast Guard: The Coast Guard groups specialties for enlisted personnel into general ratings.

Back to Top

How does my MOS relate to civilian jobs?

Online skills translators can convert your codes into general skill sets. You can use these when looking for a new job. The codes will direct you to positions or industries for which you may be suited.

Some online skills translators include:

Back to Top

What should I do if I have any questions about accessing my DoD Military Service Information?

Please contact the My HealtheVet Help Desk by selecting the Contact MHV tab at the top of any page on My HealtheVet.

Back to Top

Who do I contact if I have a problem with the DoD Military Service Information feature?

You can contact My HealtheVet about technical problems you have with the DoD Military Service Information feature. Simply complete the Contact Us form to send a message to the My HealtheVet Help Desk. The staff should respond to your problem within three (3) business days. You may also contact the My HealtheVet Coordinator at your VA Medical Center.

Back to Top

What should I do if I have a question about my DoD Military Service record?

If you have a question about your DoD Military Service record, please contact the DMDC/DEERS Support Office (DSO). You can get help by selecting the DMDC/DEERS Support Office (DSO) Contact Us link.