My HealtheVet is the VA's Personal Health Record. It was designed for Veterans, Servicemembers, their dependents and caregivers. When you register on My HealtheVet, you gain access to tools that can help you track and monitor your health. As a registered user, you can build your own personal health record that you manage and control yourself.
Specific features in My HealtheVet are available to you based on your account type. All users who have a Basic account are able to view their self-entered information. If you are a VA patient, you can upgrade* your account to Advanced or Premium. These account types may allow you to view parts of your VA health record and/or DoD Military Service Information. For more information about account types and what you can view, visit My HealtheVet Status Account Types.
Registering for a My HealtheVet account may help you:
#1: Improve Yourself: My HealtheVet can help you partner with your health care team. It provides you opportunities and tools to make informed decisions. Tracking your health may give you a better understanding of your health issues and how to manage them. This may help you make better decisions about your health care. By knowing your health concerns, you can practice ways to gain better health. Simply register today.
Note: If you are a Veteran enrolled in a VA health care facility, with an Advanced My HealtheVet account you can refill your VA medications online.
#2: Improve Your Access: As a registered user, you can view your information at anytime, anywhere you have Internet access. All registered users are able to see their self-entered information. However, if you are already a My HealtheVet user and enrolled at a VA health care facility, and enrolled at a VA health care facility, you will want to get an *upgraded Premium account. If you have a Premium account, you may be able to view three types of information:
A Veteran registering on My HealtheVet
- Your My HealtheVet self-entered information
- Parts of your official VA health record
- For some Veterans, you may be able to view your Department of Defense (DoD) Military Service Information
*To get an upgraded Premium account, you will need to go through authentication. This is a process by which VA verifies a Veterans' identity before allowing access to their VA health record. To learn more, go to: Upgrading your My HealtheVet account through In-Person or Online Authentication. If you have questions, you can always contact the My HealtheVet Coordinator at your local VA Medical Center.
#3: Improve Your Online Activity: My HealtheVet provides tools that may make your medical appointments more productive. Your health care team is there to assist you with your health care needs. You can help by doing things to make your visits more productive. For example, specific information is needed to make a diagnosis. It is based on tests, description of symptoms, recent changes and your history. By using the tools in My HealtheVet, you record and track your health and health trends. Do not be afraid to share that information:
- VA Blue Button or "Download My Data" gives you a detailed view of your My HealtheVet information. With a Basic or Advanced account, using the VA Blue Button, you can view, save, download and/or print your self-entered health information. If you have a Premium account, information from your VA electronic health record will be included. For some Veterans, information from the Department of Defense (DoD) is available. You will see this in the VA Blue Button as DoD Military Service Information. Use VA Blue Button to share your information with your caregiver and/or non-VA provider. Having this information may help them better understand your health.
- Secure Messaging is an online communication tool. If you have Premium account, you can send a non-urgent message to your VA health care team to ask them a question.
Become an active partner in your health care. It only takes a few minutes to register on My HealtheVet. Then you can begin to build your Personal Health Record and start tracking your health. If you are a Veteran who is enrolled in a VA health care facility, upgrade you account to Premium through Authentication (In-Person or Online). When you do this, you have access to information from your VA health record. In addition, for some, you may be able to view information from your DoD record. Remember, by working with your health care team and knowing your health conditions, you can learn to make healthy choices and better manage your health.
After all, it's quick, easy and it's for you!
Reviewed/Updated: September 10, 2012